Peeling a butternut squash doesn’t have to be difficult. The shape is a little funny and the hard texture on the outside can make it difficult to peel. Then, there’s the slippery factor once peeled that makes this a vegetable that can be challenging to work with at times.
Here’s how you do it:
1. Using a fork, poke holes all over the squash.
2. Place the squash in the microwave for 2 minutes on high, flipping half way through.
3. Cut the ends off the squash.
4. Place the squash upright, cut a shallow line around the bottom of the squash just before it begins to widen. Then, starting at the top, begin to cut only the skin off down to the line. (TIP: Make this even easier on yourself by using a vegetable peeler!)
5. Placing the squash back on its side, peel the rest of the skin off of the base.
6. Cut the squash in half.
7. Using a big spoon, carve out the seeds (which you can toss).
8. Cube or slice your squash into desired sizes.
Tried and Taste Tested Approved Recipes with Butternut Squash:
Substitute or add butternut squash slices to Sweet Potato and Blue/Purple Potato Fries
Healthy Butternut Squash Muffins with Maple Glaze